Saturday, December 22, 2007

My premolars extraction

This should be an interesting post. Well im taking time from waiting for my mask to dry and i should really be lying down and resting my face muscles instead of squinting in front of my faithful desktop in near-darkness and its kind of hot too and im anticipating mosquitos to be feasting soon. think thats about too much detail for just an introduction.

Well Christmas time is nearing. There was Hari Raya Aidil Adha on Thursday, which i used to spend time in the morning by bringing my housemates to Klang for an introductory or refresher course in Bakuteh. Heaven i tell you. have to try it out yourself really!

then it was my dreaded appointment with a dentist in Klang for my premolars extraction. my previous blog entries refer, i decided to go for extraction of all fours following Esther's suggestion as, i quote " You'll only feel the pain after the anaesthesia is gone" . i dont know if i have actually written about this. so braving myself after a measly meal of Chee Cheong fun - rice sheets and an assortment of vegetables such as Okra, Brinjal and Chillies stuffed with fish paste drenched in sweet sauce and Chilli at my favourite stall at Pandamaran - "cowboy town" its name dearly given for people riding on motorbikes without helmets - kids and grandmothers included. Brought along Jaron for moral support because i was too lazy to pick Esther up even though she agreed to hold my hand during the extraction.

well i waited for 40 minutes despite having an appointment. there was some commotion going on about some parent demanding that his kid's teeth was checked by the dentist even though she couldn't do anything or something like that. then it was my turn. and i got a whole mouthful of anaesthesia - pre injection. reminded me of those Difflam lozenges which i take when i have inflamed throat resulting from a viral fever or something. tasted like berries. bitter, numbing berries. then i waited awhile before the dr did her rounds of anesthetic shots - 2 shots per teeth. the bottom ones were ok, i told Dr. Yap. then she said, well it gets more painful for the upper teeth. and she was right. left me squirming and whining a little at every shot as i tried my best to remain as relaxed as possible. people always say that the more relaxed you are, the less painful needles are. so far it has proven to be true for my past experiences of taking blood tests, vaccination and this. it helps to take deep long breaths and try to think about anything other than the sharp pain that seems to go on forever.

then it was more attempts to stay relaxed as Dr Yap's dextrous hands pulled out my premolars one by one using the dental pliers and i didnt know which because i kept my eyes shut the whole time. she asked me to tell her if im feeling pain anywhere. at her first tug at the first tooth, i said there was a sharp pain, and she gave me another shot. soon after, i did not feel any pain. although i could feel the flesh tearing apart when each upper tooth was removed. i think i should spare my readers its gory details and send you a link
to the pictures i have taken instead! swallowed painkillers right after the procedure. had difficulty swallowing as my lips were numb and it felt like it was as swollen as someone having an allergic reaction being stung by a bee. or Will Smith in Hitch after he ate some shellfish. but Dr Yap reassured me that it was just how i felt, because when she showed a reflection in the mirror of myself, i still look like normal. weird how drugs can alter your mind. im being a drama queen of course!

i had to drive back before the anesthesia took over my physical body, with cotton gauzes on all four sides of my mouth, and before the stream of drool and blood drips from my mouth from me being unable to close and swallow. only to remember that i forgot to take MC for Friday so i had to drive back. when i was back home again the wounds were oozing blood like no tomorrow. Jaron was kind enough to help me change the gauzes till it was all finished. then i went to bed with a towel on my pillow from what Soo and Michelle said about waking up with a pool of blood and drool. it was that for my afternoon nap and the morning after. am i being too graphical about this? those who wore braces would definitely relate to this.

so now its cold food and drinks diet for me. i started eating solids only the next day. didnt want to taste anymore blood in my mouth so was extra careful about the recovery period. stocked up on milk and yoghurt and cleared my fridge of soya bean milk that was begging to be drank for quite some time already. but being me, hunger took over and i just came back from my cousin Julie's 21st birthday party eating Satay and what nots. so yeah. the wounds are itchy from recovering. and im looking forward to eating more tomorrow. and recovering fast before the festive feastings - such a nice ring to those words. bet it tastes and smell nicer too. and i need to stock up before i go for my next appointment with Dr Subra on Thursday.

So its adios and best wishes for the holiday season from me. premolar-less and all;p

Agape,
Jamie

1 comment:

J a r o n Ta n said...

I have my done too.. LOL..